Sunday, March 3, 2013

Lost My Mind, Then Found It...Briefly

Ok, Mel and Deb, I'm baaaack!!  Finally figured out my user name and password so I can join in the fun.  Deb, love the February posts.  Such good ideas.  My goal for today was to figure out my user name and password and so...voila!!  mission accomplished.  I am good for the day!  Our lesson in R.S. today was about the Atonement and how we need to remember the Savior is there to help us achieve what we need to achieve and to make up the difference when we've done all we can do.  The youth were taught a parable along these lines to illustrate...

A woman was walking along the road when she suddenly fell in a deep pit.  It was so deep she could not get out.  She waited and waited until finally someone came by and put a ladder down in the pit so she could climb out.  She couldn't do it all by herself and would not have ever been able to get out of the pit by herself.  Thus, it is like that for us.  When we sin, we fall into a pit that without the Atonement of our Savior it would be impossible to repent for.  However, not only does he put the ladder in the pit for us to climb out, he climbs down the ladder and HELPS US UP the ladder. 

We are asked to do so many things as LDS women.  The list is staggering and multi-layered:  tithing, service, callings, raising families, Word of Wisdom, scripture study, prayers, attending church, fast offerings, temple attendance, loving your neighbor, and on and on.  You get the drift.  It is impossible for us to do all  these things to perfection.  Heavenly Father and Jesus know this, that is why they gave us the Atonement.  After we have done all we can do, the Atonment steps in and does the rest for us.  I think it is a beautiful lesson and the good news of the Gospel, one that is so easily forgotten as we struggle to go about our daily living of JUST SURVIVING!!

So, with that in mind, my goal this week (taking a page from Deb's book of ideas) is to pray for myself.  This is something I almost never, ever do.  You pray for everyone else, right?  I need to pray for the motivation to do what I need to do to get healthy, for my foot to heal correctly, for energy to do even a modicum of exercise, and peace that the efforts I make are pleasing unto Him.  Believe me, this is hard for me.  I will make an admission right now...I've never been great with prayer.  I talk to God more in my thoughts throughout the day than actually on my knees in prayer.  Okay, that's out now...don't judge :)  I am very slow at coming to the Lord for help when I'm overwhelmed, but have always felt Him there.  I need to ASK for guidance and help instead of just kind of expecting it to show up.  Do you know what I mean?

Life is overwhelming and in so many ways totally SUCKS!!   The LAST thing I want to do is exercise and eat right.  I deserve that cookie, I deserve that ice cream, right?  Well, all the deserving is going to slowly kill me off.  I deserve better than that.  So, prayer, real prayer, this week, then next week we'll see.  Baby steps, right Deb?

Love you gals!  We can make things better for ourselves, our families, those we come in contact with.  Praying for you too!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment